WE GO WITH BROTHERS
The Castle is older than HKU itself
Our bonds will probably last longer
For hundreds of years,
University Hall was formally declared a historical monument by the Antiquity and Monument Office of Hong Kong on 15 September 1995.
In 1954 the University of Hong Kong purchased the Nazareth from the French Mission for the purpose of setting up undergraduate students’ hostel there.
When alteration completed in two years, the chapel was converted into a dining hall and the crypt became the common room.
The French Mission redeveloped Douglas Castle into the Nazareth, a facility for missionaries from all over Asia to rest and refresh.
When completed in 1896, Nazareth had a new complex block of dormitory, chapel and printing workshop attached to the old Douglas Castle main building.
A renowned merchant Douglas Lapraik obtained the small hill by the side of the Pokfulam Reservoir under construction. He built on the top of the hill his home, the Douglas Castle.
The cross-shaped tower walls symbolized that crossbow-men were ready to shoot arrows any time from behind the embattled parapets.
We are eager to hear from you!
Freshmen, alumni, exchange students, public organizations, partners, and all members of the public!
Phone: 2551 0542
Copyright © 1956-2023 University Hall, The University of Hong Kong. All rights reserved.